Daniel Ketcham Taylor, the 2nd son of Joseph C. Taylor was born September 15, 1859 in Vincennes, Knox County, Indiana, just south of Sullivan County. Daniel was given the middle name Ketcham in honor of his maternal grandparent. Daniel was listed on the 1880 June census of Westport, Decatur County, Indiana as age 20 and within the household of John E. Sharp and wife Sarah E. Also listed were Henry J.C. Taylor age 18, Walter Sharp age 12, Albert Sharp age 6. All were listed attending school. Daniel K. Taylor and brother John Wesley Taylor went to visit Ephraim Sharp in Southfork, Arkansas who was a son of John E. Sharp and John's first wife, Susan Armstrong. Ephraim was a leading merchant, farmer, owner of a cotton gin and flour mill and was also postmaster. Daniel decided to stay in Arkansas and went to work for John Sharp who was a cousin of his step-father. About 3 years later, Daniel married Anna Lee Sharp on December 26, 1884, daughter of his employer in Izard County, Arkansas. Anna Lee's mother, Catherine Simmons Sharp had died in childbirth on December 13, 1876 when Anna was 9. Anna cared for brothers and sisters until her father married again to Susan Yeager. Susan died in childbirth May 25, 1894.
Daniel was a blacksmith by trade and it is thought that he learned the occupation while in Indiana. Daniel Taylor always spoke very lovingly of his mother and had names his 3rd child after her. Prior to visiting his mother in Indiana in 1894, Daniel wanted to take Sarah Ellen with him, however Anna Lee thought Sarah Ellen was too young to make the trip and Daniel was unable to ultimately make the trip to his mother's funeral.
See a photo of Daniel Ketcham Taylor
Daniel had 9 children from his union with Anna Lee.
1. Robert Lee Taylor born September 25, 1885 in Izard County, Arkansas. Robert Lee was married twice - Beulah Collins and Lucille Melton.
2. Ollie Cleveland Taylor born February 2, 1888 married Thomas J. Peebles November 16, 1913 in Sharp County, Arkansas. Ollie died October 21, 1946 in Sharp County.
3. Sarah Ellen Taylor born August 18, 1890 in Izard County, Arkansas. Sarah married Augustus Durant Orr November 16, 1912 in Evening Shade, Sharp County, Arkansas. Sarah Ellen died in October of 1980 and is buried in Hickory Grove, Sharp County, Arkansas.
4. Kathryn Taylor born July 9, 1894 in Izard County, Arkansas. Kathryn married Martin Vance McCord on Sept. 9, 1917.
5. Joseph Charles Taylor born February 15, 1897 in Izard County, Arkansas. Joseph married Rubye Hodges December 24, 1925 in Frederick, Oklahoma. Joseph Charles Taylor died September 21, 1976 in Kingfisher, Oklahoma.
6. Josie Mae Taylor born October 4, 1899 in Izard County, Arkansas. Josie married ArthurMorrison Wilkerson on March 7, 1920 in Evening Shade, Sharp County, Arkansas.
7. John Elmer Taylor born July 25, 1902 in Evening Shade, Sharp County, Arkansas. John married Carrie Mae Corder November 27, 1930 in Marianna, Arkansas. John Elmer died June 8, 1966 in Helena, Phillips County, Arkansas and is buried there.
8. Attye Bryan Taylor born August 27, 1905 in Evening Shade, Arkansas. Attye married Owen Jerome Milligan on March 4, 1928 in Cave City, Arkansas.
9. Anna Grace Taylor born November 16, 1908 in Evening Shade, Arkansas. Married Talmadge Spurgeon Powell on May 21, 1948. Anna Grace was residing in Memnphis, Tennessee in the 1980's.
Daniel Ketcham Taylor
died Sept. 18, 1942
EMAIL SITE AUTHOR